Friday 10 May 2013

A trip to Wallyworld

This time last week a friend of mine posted on Facebook that they were planning to return on another journey to the United States of America next year. They said to another friend that it would make a great road trip if she came along as well. Not one to sit back and stay out of other peoples conversations I offered to tag along. Embarrassed, they offered - and of course I politely accepted :)

Now of course it never would have been offered if we weren't really good friends. It's not a friendship like the show Friends, we are far more dysfunctional than they were, but I certainly could relate to Joey.

But let's get back to the trip. I was asked a few days later if i was serious and would actually come along. Of course I would! Nobody in their right mind would pass up on a trip to the Great Satan unless your name was Bin Laden, Gaddafi or Hussein. None of those relate to me so a trip through US Border Control should only be a slight discomfort. 

The last time I planned a holiday I pulled out the map and over three or four weeks plotted out the route, all the things to do in the region and then checked all the accommodation options all the while conferring with my wife who just rolled her eyes and said "You know what I like. Just book it." And so I did, after weeks of careful consideration I booked the caravan park and planned the (back then) three hour trip to The Entrance.


The trip to the United States is totally different. Like the planning of Oceans 11 a team of folks suddenly launched into action. One produced itinerary's in a manner City Rail would like to produce a timetable - Efficient and meeting everyone's needs. 

Version 3.1 was approved in principle. Team 2 began accommodation, flights, transportation and communication. A Private Facebook Group was commenced. (It makes me wonder how many criminal organisations also might use this as a communication and planning method...anyway) Video hook ups commenced and strategies put forward, voted on and locked in. If this group of 4 adults and 2 children could run a Government Department it would run like a well oiled machine based on what I've seen this week. Such is the awesomeness of this collaboration. 


The trip is mostly a road trip now covering about 19 US States and thousands of miles over about 48 days (give or take a few). History records many great road trips. In 2000 Tom Green took off on an 1800 mile adventure. Then there's the hangover movies. A group of friends off to Vegas (yes, Vegas is on the list) who wake up with a tiger in the bathroom and no memory of the night before. Of course, this can't happen, there are children present. 

Planes, Trains and Automobiles was mentioned. It concerns me that I might be the John Candy on this trip, and it didn't really cover the whole family type aspect of this road trip. For me this is the big one. This is the road trip of all road trips. This is the Griswold's vacation to Wallyworld and Vegas Vacation rolled into one.

Roll theme song...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hPZFUz0YOY

Now, no Griswold's road trip would be complete without the trip to Wally World. In fact, we will visit every amusement park in the United States except for Wally World. Yes kiddies, Wally World does exist. It's actually known as Six Flags in California near San Francisco and has the biggest roller coasters in America. But to visit the three six flags parks would see us nearly migrate to the USA. 

And all while I write this tongue in cheek blog regarding this trip next year, behind the scenes in separate war rooms the planning continues. 

Accommodation is checked and double checked. Tourist experiences submitted and vehicles virtually test driven for comfort. The vehicle...... yes..... reminds me of another movie......

I couldn't think of a better bunch of people to undertake such an amazing journey. 

Tell the Crow about your experiences.



No comments:

Post a Comment